Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Death Penalty

The past couple of days there have been news reports of two long-delayed executions. That, and the fact that I have been called for jury duty next week, has lead me to contemplate the issues surrounding the death penalty.

Being somewhat old-fashioned and analytic, I tend to address these sorts of questions with the use of a Ben Franklin balance sheet, thusly:

Attributes of the Death Penalty

Positive:
  • Recidivism rate is zero.
  • Some crimes are so heinous that they demand the death penalty.
Negative:
  • Some innocent individuals are convicted.
  • Typically it takes many years to carry out the sentence - "Justice delayed is justice denied."
  • The many, many appeals cost the tax payers a lot of money.
  • The cost of incarceration of a death-row inmate is a lot more than for a "lifer".
I could go on, but these, I think, are the major points. My conclusion after weighing these aspects of the death penalty:
  • Philosophically I am very much in favor of the death penalty, BUT
  • Unless we can return to the days of the old west and carry out the sentence within thirty days there is no practical value to imposing the death sentence.

No comments: