Saturday, November 16, 2013

Howard to the Dog Park


My dear faithful readers I have a request.  I am looking for someone who is able and willing to illustrate my Howard series ala A. A, Milne (Winnie the Pooh) or Theodore Guisel (Dr. Seuss).  If you know of someone who fits the bill, please point them in my direction.  Bob


Howard to the Dog Park

"OK, Howard, let’s take you to the dog park.”

Why does the man want to take me somewhere, all of a sudden?  I have no idea, but it sounds like fun

“Felix, Maggie, stay out of trouble!”

“Alright, Howard, you stay out of trouble too.  There are some really big dogs out there.”

It’s not the big dogs I need to worry about.  It’s the A-type Chihuahuas one has to be careful with. 

Hi!  I’m Howard, who are you?

“I’m Alexander.  I haven’t seen you here before.”

 “Howard seems to have made friends with that Boston terrier.  It looks like there may be trouble, though.  He’s moving up to a big Rottweiler”

Hi!  I’m Howard, who are you?

“What’s it to you?”

Well, this is my first time here.  I am meeting a lot of new friends and I like to remember their names.

“I’m Roger.”

Great, Roger, would you like to introduce me to your friends?

“Sure, why not?”

“That’s Howard for you.  He makes friends easily: a cat, a parrot, blue birds, a Boston terrier, a burly Rottweiler…”

Thank you, Roger.  Your friends all seem to respect you greatly

It looks like the man wants me to come to him.  Do you and Alexander want to tag along?

“Sure”

"Of course"

“Howard, I’m going to throw this tennis ball and I want you to get it and bring it back to me,”

Wow, I knew exactly what he wanted and I did it,  He seems to be very pleased.

“Fetch!” “Fetch!” “Fetch!” “Fetch!” 

Hey, Alexander and Roger, why don’t you two join in?

“Sure”

"Of course"

“Fetch!” “Fetch!” “Fetch!” “Fetch!” 

That Alexander can’t run as fast as Roger or I, but he sure can turn corners sharper than either of us.

“OK, Howard, it’s time to go home.  You seem to have enjoyed it and made a couple of good friends.  We’ll have to do it again, soon.”


Robert Niel Beatie – November 7, 2013

No comments: