Sunday, April 17, 2011

Contaminated meats

The latest flap concerning the prevalence of bacteria in grocery store meats is surprising to me because this has always been the case. Thus the routine advice on cooking shows to" wash your hands, working surfaces and implements very regularly."

What is disturbing to me is the prevalence of drug-resistant bacteria. Which suggests to me that the FDA should prohibit the routine feeding of antibiotics to farm animals, chicken, pigs, cows, etc., on the basis that they are operating millions of unlicensed laboratories for the development of drug-resistant bacteria.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to mention restricting prescription of antibiotics to humans a bit more rigorously.

Vogt Family said...

Since my colon cancer surgery, I added probiotics (good bacteria) to my diet every other day. Things are working smooth and as they ought to, if you get my drift.

Your blog post is common sense, some folks don't have a clue. I hope there are better and different antibiotics being researched and developed to combat the super bugs that are resistant to the current antibiotics.