Thursday, August 15, 2013



Raising a Family

Hi, Ben.  How is it going?  I see that you built the nest where you thought you would.

“Hello, Howard.  It is going very well.  Helen is now sitting on three eggs that should hatch any day.”

That’s great, Ben!  Let me know when the big day arrives.

“Will do.”

Another beautiful day to get some sun in the yard.

Hi, Ben.

“Howard, we now have three boys: Charles, Henry, and Wilber. Helen and I are going to be busy for the next couple of weeks finding enough worms to feed them.   That’s why we stopped at three.  Four or more we might not be able to feed them.”

Well, good luck to you.

It’s been a couple of weeks since they hatched.  Let me find out how Charles, Henry, and Wilber are doing.

“Howard, we need help!  Wilber fell out of the nest a short time ago and Helen and I are at a loss to get him back in the nest,  Can you help?”

Well, let’s see.  I can’t climb the tree so I can’t help you there.  I can only think of two ways to do it.  If we can keep Felix from following his natural instincts to eat Wilber maybe he would do it.  Otherwise the man has a ladder and he could do it if only we can communicate the nature of the problem to him.  What do you think?

“Since time is of the essence it would take too long to communicate with the man, based on your experience getting him to call you ‘Howard’.  S as risky as it may be, I think we need to go to Felix.”

OK, but let me be the one to go to Felix.  I have a bit more influence over him than you do.

Felix, Wilber fell out of the nest and we would like you to put him back.

“If you insist, I will do it.”

You do realize that I would take a very dim view if he does not make it back into the nest safely?

“Alright, but I am more afraid of Helen than I am of you.  She has a mean beak and I don’t want her ever to get angry with me again.”

I’ll show you where Wilber is.  I want you to talk to him first to calm him down.  It is a bird’s instinct to be afraid of cats as it is in a cat’s instinct to eat birds.

Hi, Wilber.  I’m Howard and this is Felix.  He is going to help you get back in the nest.

“Hello, Wilber.  Do you want to get back in the nest?”

“Absolutely!  I am cold and hungry and want to get back home as soon as possible,”

“You are a big bird and it will be difficult for me to keep my mouth open wide enough to keep from squeezing you.  So if you feel I’m squeezing too hard just squeak and I’ll try to ease up.  Here goes.”

“I must be getting old.  Climbing this tree is not nearly as easy as it was a couple of years ago.”

“Hi, Charles and Henry.  I’m Felix.  Here is your brother, Wilber.  Please don’t let him fall out again,”

“Well Howard, a successful rescue.”

Come on Felix, let’s go tell Maggie what happened.

Maggie, our friend, Felix, is a hero.  Baby Wilber fell out of the nest and Felix put him back

“Being a bird myself, Felix, I know what a challenge it must have been for you.  You truly are a hero.”

“I’ve always wanted to meet Ben and Helen, but the man will never let me go outside.”

Hmm.  I wonder,  Maybe….

  
Robert Niel Beatie – August 14, 2013

1 comment:

Vogt Family said...

Fantastic story. Must read more. I am going to share with grandchildren, too.