Monday, May 6, 2013



Boundaries
An orange grove at the end of the street
A busy boulevard at the other end
Magnolia Avenue Elementary School
About a mile down the boulevard.
How far can I go?
To school I must go.  If I dare
I might go to the second row of orange trees
Maybe even the third row.

English, German, football, and track
Occupy my days at Petaluma High School.
My 1929 Model A Ford gets me around.
How far can I go?
Anywhere I want
So long as I am up at 5:00AM and back by 5:00PM
To milk the cows.

Twenty-two units,
Thirty hours a week at Hewlett Packard
Washing dishes for my meals
I am a busy student at Stanford.
How far can I go?
I am too busy to think about going anywhere
Except, maybe, going home and milking the cows.

Develco, my own aerospace firm
Twice-monthly TWA to DC and United home
San Jose to Burbank and back, again and again
How far can I go?
Maybe I can take the kids to the beach
But I would rather stay home.

Retired, living happily with my third wife
Enjoying our pets
And the maintenance of our home.
How far can I go?
Almost anywhere I want
But our annual family outing to Mexico
Is about as long as I want to be away from our home
And Alexander, Chico, Lil Maya, and Sebastian.


To address “How far can I go mentally and philosophically” is another, much longer study.

Robert Niel Beatie – February 23, 2013

1 comment:

Jan Madden said...

Hi Dad -
I love the blogs about your childhood. It wasn't the beach that rings my memory. It is the time on a pier, the smell of the salt water and fish.